Welcome!

I'm not new to talking, sharing ideas, or stating my opinion, especially stating my opinion! After all, I taught elementary school for 30 years! However, my audience has typically been smaller,just family, the classroom, or just talking to myself!

My blog has two goals: be an outlet for sharing thoughts on writing children's books and the path to publication (got my fingers crossed that I'll get there) and a place to chronicle my journey of losing my sight. Sometimes I imagine these two paths will overlap .


Saturday, June 11, 2011

Visualeyes

               A Purpose Changed


 I have always felt that I had a calling. It's name was teaching, for many years, but in truth, it really is more than just educating kids, it's about helping others.

I never gave a second thought to a request from someone for a ride to the doctor or a store. If someone needed help in moving, I gladly filled the back seat and trunk and carried boxes.

But now that darn sight has gotten worse and I've had to give up driving. And while I still offer to help, people usually say "Oh so kind of you to offer, but I'm fine" or "No thanks, I've got it covered" and what they're really saying is how can you help me when you don't drive?

I must tell you, that hurts. I'm still the same person. Yes, I've learned to be more resourceful for myself in getting around. However, it doesn't seem fair to take away my 'Good Samaritan wings'. 

I've been missing helping others during this past year of non-driverhood. I think that's why I offered to restart the 'Neighborhood Watch Program'  in my condo community.

Then an opportunity presented itself to me this past week. And although the timing isn't ideal (since I'm preparing for my writers' workshop at Chautauqu), it felt right. So I took on the challenge. I offered my home and myself to a friend for her week's convalescence following surgery. We have some logistics to work out but I know it will work out fine.

And the space in my soul that was feeling kind of empty, you know the part that fills up when you think of others instead of yourself? It's feeling more full.

I like feeling that way.                                        

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gail. Wonderful post. I think it is great that you are starting up the neighborhood watch. That will benefit so many people.

    ReplyDelete