Welcome!

I'm not new to talking, sharing ideas, or stating my opinion, especially stating my opinion! After all, I taught elementary school for 30 years! However, my audience has typically been smaller,just family, the classroom, or just talking to myself!

My blog has two goals: be an outlet for sharing thoughts on writing children's books and the path to publication (got my fingers crossed that I'll get there) and a place to chronicle my journey of losing my sight. Sometimes I imagine these two paths will overlap .


Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Write From the Soul 4

In the pursuit to become a better writer, learn about marketing myself and my books, and to actually get published I'm spending more time on the computer than I ever imagined! Sometimes I draft my story right on the computer, other times I'm writing in my handy black-and-white speckled composition notebook (spiral notebooks are no good because the pages come out too easily). That's good for at least a couple hours. Next there is the blog reading. I have about 10 blogs I follow and there's a gazillion more I probably should read. Blogs are sneaky, though. Just as you think you've finished one, you notice a link to something or someone you don't know about and of course, you have to click on it to be sure you aren't missing something important. I feel so much like a little kid when I'm doing that. You know, kids always want more, they always think the next thing is better, and they don't want others to know about stuff they don't know. That's me on blogs and authors' web sites, and publishers' sites too.

Speaking of marketing oneself.... In one of my posts I mentioned Shelli Johannes- Wells and her blog "Market My Words." I decided to arrange an appointment with her. Our phone meeting will be this week and I'm making a list of questions to ask. Talk about feeling inept. I'm not even sure what questions to ask! It reminds me of some of the kids I used to teach. I'd explain some skill, give examples, and ask if anyone had questions. Sometimes I just got blank stares back. I knew what would happen. As soon as I asked them to put that skill into practice, one at a time, 4 or 5 kids would quietly come up and say "I don't get it!" At first I wondered why they hadn't raised their hands to ask a question during the lesson but I realized either A) they were embarrassed to admit in front of others a lack of comprehension or B) the lack of comprehension was so complete that they didn't know how to tell me what they didn't get! I'm feeling kind of like choice B. The good news is we have a 2 part meeting planned so I can ask the few questions I have, try out whatever she suggests, and hopefully, come back with the questions I really need answers to because the understanding finally has sunk in.

Silly me; when I set out to be a published writer, I thought you write it, you share it, you revise it, you send it, it gets published. Right? Not even close. Sure those are all part of writing (except maybe getting published because not everyone who writes does get published) but there's sooooooo much more. Like reading blogs, and developing a web site, and having a social media presence, and blogging yourself, and trying to create a following, and marketing yourself and your books. It's quite the learning curve for me. It's not surprising to feel like I take one step forward and two steps back. Maybe more like trying to walk back up the down escalator; it's quite a struggle but it actually can be done with perseverance and some quick stepping. I think I'd better put on my running shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment