Welcome!

I'm not new to talking, sharing ideas, or stating my opinion, especially stating my opinion! After all, I taught elementary school for 30 years! However, my audience has typically been smaller,just family, the classroom, or just talking to myself!

My blog has two goals: be an outlet for sharing thoughts on writing children's books and the path to publication (got my fingers crossed that I'll get there) and a place to chronicle my journey of losing my sight. Sometimes I imagine these two paths will overlap .


Monday, February 14, 2011

Write From the Soul

Happy Heart Day!!         

Valentine's Day..... a day meant for those in a relationship to profess their devotion to each other. Phffff!!!! 

What about those folks not in a romantic relationship?  

Are they connected to others? Yup. In relationships with friends, family, writing buddies, coworkers? Yup. 

Do they need recognition as someone special and valued? Absolutely. Maybe a little more just because there isn't a significant other around to remind them.

So this Valentine's Day, why not drop an email to a single friend or family member, or make a call, just to let him/her know that you appreciate him/her. I'm sure it will warm their heart.



And speaking of hearts....... This holiday is full of candy and sweets. And while I really l-o-v-e chocolate, I know it's not always so good for me or others.



February is "Heart Month"; not because of Valentine's Day, but due to heart disease, the number one cause of death in women. Yes, more than breast cancer. 

Women frequently have different symptoms than men, symptoms that we tend to ignore. We don't usually get the pain down the left arm or the tightening in the chest. Our symptoms are constant fatigue, jaw pain, shortness of breath, pain in the upper back or above the breast (either side). Sound like stuff you'd worry about? Of course not, because women are so busy running around that they are often tired and achy.

But I'm here to tell you that you should pay attention to it. Especially if there's any family history of heart disease.


Eight years ago, I had those symptoms and because I have a family history of heart disease on my dad's side, I went to a cardiologist who sent me to have a stress test- which I failed miserably. The following day I had a cardiac cath where they discovered my left main artery (the one they call the "widow maker" because a heart attack due to that blockage= death) was  100% blocked and another one was 80% blocked! They wheeled me over to the hospital and after the weekend, I had open heart surgery. 
Totally unexpected. At age 50. A woman. 



All because I wasn't feeling great and I became pro-active about it. As a result, I've been around for the past eight years to witness celebrations in my family, to retire from a career teaching children, and to start writing.

I am blessed and grateful, and I appreciate every day.  
Valentine's Day is a reminder to me to take care of my heart so it will keep me around to enjoy more of life's surprises.



To all my friends and family, single or in  relationships, I say: Happy Heart Day. Take care of your heart and know that you are always in mine!                                  

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you paid attention to your body, Gail! My mom had jaw pain and ended up with a stent. We're very grateful.

    As I'm grateful for a friend like you! Happy valentine's Day, Gail!

    ReplyDelete