Welcome!

I'm not new to talking, sharing ideas, or stating my opinion, especially stating my opinion! After all, I taught elementary school for 30 years! However, my audience has typically been smaller,just family, the classroom, or just talking to myself!

My blog has two goals: be an outlet for sharing thoughts on writing children's books and the path to publication (got my fingers crossed that I'll get there) and a place to chronicle my journey of losing my sight. Sometimes I imagine these two paths will overlap .


Friday, December 17, 2010

Write From the Soul

Atlanta (and much of Georgia) just had an ice storm.

Our winters are mild compared to the North- coming from Michigan, I have the right to say that. 

We usually get one "snow storm" (2-5 inches) a season and maybe an ice storm (black ice). These cause great drama and trauma in Georgia because our snow removal system is 2 men and a broom! Just kidding, our snow removal includes some salt but mostly gravel. Now whoever came up with the gravel idea obviously never lived in the North! Gravel just makes snow gritty and tracks into your house! And you still have snow and/or ice to contend with. Grrrr...

 Anyway.... the ice and cold made me think about my upcoming trip back to Boston to visit with family. And the family tradition we've started. 

My sister and brother-in-law have a 
rental property near Loon Mountain in New Hampshire. (Shameless plug here...it sleeps 10 people, is beautiful, close to skiing and hiking when it's not winter and is available for rental all year, just contact me and I'll connect you to the right people.) 

We are Jewish and don't celebrate Christmas and it seems that most folks who do celebrate Christmas, like to stay at home or near family, rather than go skiing over the holiday, so the condo remains available at that time. Of course everyone wants to rent it over New Year's apparently. Sorry, I digress. 

Our tradition has become to take the family, and the nephews bring a friend, to New Hampshire over Christmas. As much as I DON'T love the cold, snow, bulky clothes of winter, I DO enjoy this respite getaway. 
                                                
There's a large fireplace, big windows overlooking mountains, pine trees, and of course, snow. Let the others go skiing; Mom and I stay in and read. It's great, it's peaceful, it's our tradition. 

Sometimes, we  spend part of Christmas Day at the movies. We used to find one movie that we all could see, but as the nephews got older, our "tastes" became more diverse. 
Last year, the guys went to one movie and the girls to another. We were at the same theater complex though and went to dinner afterward together. We  go out for Chinese/Thai food- the only restaurant in the small town open that night- along with the rest of the community.


Family traditions make wonderful memories. What are your family traditions during this holiday season?


In case I don't make it back to the blog before the end of the year, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all! 

2 comments:

  1. Movies and Chinese food are our traditions too! Have a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you were okay during our "ice storm." My neighborhood was like a sheet of ice! It was tough going for me for a second or two.

    Have a good holiday and I hope to see you at Springmingle in 2011. :)

    ReplyDelete