Welcome!

I'm not new to talking, sharing ideas, or stating my opinion, especially stating my opinion! After all, I taught elementary school for 30 years! However, my audience has typically been smaller,just family, the classroom, or just talking to myself!

My blog has two goals: be an outlet for sharing thoughts on writing children's books and the path to publication (got my fingers crossed that I'll get there) and a place to chronicle my journey of losing my sight. Sometimes I imagine these two paths will overlap .


Friday, July 16, 2010

Write From the Soul



Today is my birthday! And of all days, your birth day should be one where you celebrate, connect with, and appreciate only things you love.


So, I want to spend time (or talk) with my family and friends, eat something sweet, write, and be around books!

Today has had many telephone and Facebook renditions of Happy Birthday,  even from former students- I love reconnecting with them and seeing the child I knew as an adult,

Lunch was spent with a wonderful friend who then gave me time to talk with a curious calico and a hungry horse nibbling my elbow.

 Something sweet came in the form of yummy homemade cookies from another friend with a mini banner on top and pop-up happy birthday letters- I love creative people!


And books... I'm going to reread some of my favorites. Have you ever read the Griffin and Sabine: An Extraordinary Correspondence trilogy? Utterly fabulous!!!!! Nick Bantok, an illustrator in his own right, wrote and illustrated these marvelous books. The basic storyline is: Griffin, a postcard illustrator in London, receives a note from Sabine, an unknown, mysterious postage stamp designer living on a remote island in the South Pacific. She claims to know about him and his life, though they have never met. They begin an extraordinary correspondence, and courtship that the reader is privy to with actual letters in envelopes you can open within the books. Who wouldn't be tempted to read someone else's love letters??!! You begin to wonder, like Griffin and Sabine, whether they are soulmates or if it is all an illusion. I found it difficult to wait for each sequel when the trilogy first came out in the early 1990s. 

If you haven't read them, do it. It won't be wasted time. Any worries or troubles that are stressing you out, shoot, you'll forget all about them for a couple hours. It's worth it.

I'm off to enjoy the rest of my birthday!

7 comments:

  1. Have a FABULOUS b-day Gail! I hope that you do something nice and get tons of presents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! And sounds like a fun trilogy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gail! I'm so glad I saw your newest post, to see that today is your birthday....Happy Birthday!! I'm glad you had a very happy day! Today was my oldest sister's birthday, too, so I feel a little connection to you. She is still with me in my heart and mind. You must be special to share a birth date with her! I only briefly mentioned her on my post tonight, because I wrote quite a bit about her recently. Anyway....one more time....Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a couple days late in wishing you birthday wishes on your special day. HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HaPpY BirThDAy! Hope you have a crazy, fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy (Oops, late!) Birthday, Gail! Hope it was swell- and yes, I've read Griffin and Sabine. I loved the concept-it was like a flap book for adults :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday a little late. You missed being a Leo by just a little. My day is in Aug and I'm a Leo and I'm married to a Leo... Spicy marriage :)

    ReplyDelete