Welcome!

I'm not new to talking, sharing ideas, or stating my opinion, especially stating my opinion! After all, I taught elementary school for 30 years! However, my audience has typically been smaller,just family, the classroom, or just talking to myself!

My blog has two goals: be an outlet for sharing thoughts on writing children's books and the path to publication (got my fingers crossed that I'll get there) and a place to chronicle my journey of losing my sight. Sometimes I imagine these two paths will overlap .


Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Visualeyes

Today was mobility training lesson #2. As I'm sure you could tell from my last post, I was struggling. But I said to myself today: Gail, just try it again. It will be easier because you've already done it.

As I was getting ready for the lesson, I went looking for the blindfold. Now I don't know if it got misplaced in the  tornadic action this weekend, otherwise called tax preparation, or if I waylaid it (Freudian slip maybe?) but the blindfold was no where to be found.

So I just decided I'd put on my sunglasses AND keep my eyes closed. I hear you saying....yeah, right, so easy to cheat that way! But I didn't open my eyes once, not when I bumped into a parked car or was trying to locate the speed bump on the road in my complex. Honest, cross my heart.
That said volumes to me. It meant I was feeling more comfortable and less fearful. It meant I was willing to trust myself more. It meant I was trusting my instructor more too. So while last week's lesson felt like crossing a desert, crawling through mud, and crossing a canyon on a tightrope, this week's lesson was more like jumping on a trampoline; you're a little uncertain while in the air, put you know you'll land back on the canvas and be supported.

Here are the positives my instructor pointed out:
  • My gait was more even because I wasn't hesitating every few steps
  • My speed was faster (not fast, just faster) indicating I was feeling more confident
  • I was able to identify curbs, sidewalks, speed bumps easier than last time
  • I was more surefooted going up and down stairs.
Go Gail, Go Gail woo hoo!!!!!!

I am still veering to the left when I walk. That's not a huge issue within the complex, however, it becomes a MAJOR issue if I'm trying to cross a main street! Wish fixing it was as simple as realigning one's car.

We worked a bit on using sound as clues to location. I was trying to tell when a car was coming toward me in the complex. At first all the birds singing was a little distracting.  Then the landscapers arrived. When they crank up those leaf blowers, you can't hear anything except maybe someone shouting right next to you. It wasn't bad if they were moving away from me, but coming towards me- yikes! Pull out the earplugs :-)

Following the lesson- and I signed up for 3 more- I ran some errands with a friend. First thing she said as I got in the car was, "Oh, you're smiling. This lesson must have been better." And I responded that I thought I might actually make it through this process after all.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that you're doing better. People say all the time, You take things for granted but you really don't know how much until you can lose something you've taking for granted. I'm not sure I would be doing as well and it speaks volume about your courage. My hat is off to you.

    ReplyDelete