I'm not new to talking, sharing ideas, or stating my opinion, especially stating my opinion! After all, I taught elementary school for 30 years! However, my audience has typically been smaller,just family, the classroom, or just talking to myself!

My blog has two goals: be an outlet for sharing thoughts on writing children's books and the path to publication (got my fingers crossed that I'll get there) and a place to chronicle my journey of losing my sight. Sometimes I imagine these two paths will overlap .

Friday, December 18, 2009

Visualeyes 9

Here it is.... not an extraordinary car, but a good one none the less.
Last Sunday I went out to brunch with my friends, then we came back, signed the papers, took the pictures, and took me to the grocery store for one last ride with "my baby!" Then it was goodbye car, and I watched as it drove out of sight. (Very heavy sigh...) The rest of the day, I didn't quite know what to do with myself. Normally on a weekend, I'd head over to the bookstore and find something calling my name. But, oops!
No  car. Monday morning, as is my habit, I checked outside to see what the weather was like, and there was a space, a parking space, where my car used to sit. No car.   By Tuesday, I HAD to get out of the house and bring some normalcy back into my life. So I made a list of errands I could do in the same general area- mail holiday cards and take small package to mail at UPS Store, pick up RX, drop off jewelry order at gift shop carrying my line. My determination was set and off I trekked, up- and I do mean UP- the street to wait for the bus. After the huffing and puffing and wheezing slowed down (and a hit off the old inhaler), I noticed that the weather was chillier than I thought. Did I have gloves with me? No. Did I have earmuffs or a scarf with me? No. Was my backpack checked for necessary things before I left? No. "The Planner" is going to have to plan better.

Got to the gift shop with jewelry-check- and then an uphill 3 minute walk to get the prescription. Two errands done. Now the steep, uphill "climb" to get to UPS for mailings-huff, puff, check- but I needed a stop to breathe. Saw the bus I needed at the stop about 200 yds. away so I took off at a slow run (remember I have a pack on my back) and made it there before he took off. Of course it turned out he wasn't leaving yet because this bus changes numbers mid route and it sits and waits at this particular stop for 15 minutes before it leaves with the new number on it! (Don't ask me why it changes, I don't get it.) This bus was , of course, going in the opposite direction from where I lived but it was chilly out, I was cold and the bus was warm, and I was tired from uphill walking. (I'm not in shape for all this mandatory exercise!)  I said to myself:  "Gail just go where the bus is going. You've never been to the end of this route; you'll learn where it goes for future reference. It's an adventure!!!" This adventure led me to one of the subway stations where I needed to take the subway to the next stop in order to pick up the bus that doesn't change it's number mid route. Note to self; wear thicker pants if you're going to be waiting for a train in the cold. The marble bench practically gave my bottom freezer burn! At the next stop, I had just missed the bus, so I had another outdoor wait, this time on a wrought iron bench. Hmmm... colder or warmer than the marble one? It's a TIE!!! The wind was whipping around and I was pretending to distract myself from a cold butt, frozen ears, and a runny nose by doing a sudoku puzzle. Might be good for the brain pathways and neurons, but every pathway I had was screaming GET ME ON A WARM BUS NOW!!!! Geez, it's amazing how long 20 minutes take when you're waiting for a bus in chilly weather! Yeah, yeah, I know it wasn't Michigan weather but it was about 39 and I was dressed for 65! I don't know where my internal heat went, but it must have been taking a coffee break someplace else.

Finally the bus arrived; I made it back to my street, walked the downhill (thank goodness) trek home. Still no car there. I guess I was kind of wishing it would magically be there. Up the flight of 14 stairs to my condo. Dumped the pack, threw off the shoes, and collapsed on the couch. Woke up 2 hours later. This no-car-take-bus-and-train routine is going to take some adjustment!

Here are my dear friends with their "new" car.


  1. Ok, you know how they say misery loves company? It's totally true. Although I do hope your bad day has gotten much, much better. If nothing else you are going to be in PHENOMENAL shape LAC (life after car).

    Hang in there Gail!

  2. Thanks, LiLa!
    Hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday!!