Welcome!

I'm not new to talking, sharing ideas, or stating my opinion, especially stating my opinion! After all, I taught elementary school for 30 years! However, my audience has typically been smaller,just family, the classroom, or just talking to myself!

My blog has two goals: be an outlet for sharing thoughts on writing children's books and the path to publication (got my fingers crossed that I'll get there) and a place to chronicle my journey of losing my sight. Sometimes I imagine these two paths will overlap .


Friday, December 11, 2009

Visualeyes 8 and a half

As I work through my personal challenges of vision loss, I appreciate the support and encouragement I get from friends, family, blog followers, local RP chapter, and the online discussion group, RPList. But what is available to provide support, encouragement, and "community" for kids and teens with visual impairments? Not much that I can find on the big ol' Web. So I decided to start a blog for tweens and teens. It's called Help U C  [help you see] which reminded me of texting shorthand and should appeal to youth.

The format is a topic discussed or a question posed relating to dealing with vision challenges. As the moderator, I share how I relate to the topic/question, giving an example from my life. My hope is that tweens/teens (I'm aiming for ages 8-18) will feel comfortable and safe posting a comment and sharing about their own lives. For those still in the denial phase-still trying to quietly fit in and "act normal"- it's possible to comment or ask a question anonymously. I want kids and teens to find out that it really doesn't matter how old you are, all of us are in the same boat when it comes to coping and adapting. Our choices are different depending on our age and maturity, but teens can learn from kids as well as kids can learn from teens.

In setting up the blog, the teacher in me insisted I post some guidelines to follow, things like no name-calling, swearing, use of vulgar language, and showing respect for everyone. I think "feeding the teacher"  is as much as reason for developing this blog as filling a need for youth with vision issues. Last year, my inner teacher was sated by tutoring a 3rd grader at my former school in reading. I guess I didn't realize that I missed that mentor-mentee connection from teaching. The new tween-teen blog is a great way to fill that gap for me. I also think, as I move into mobility training, [yes, I AM going to do it! See previous blog for this topic] this will become a motivator for me. I can show Help U C followers that even adults get scared, even adults have to learn new things and it will hopefully help bond all of us together.

Remember my post on the word vigor? I am approaching this new venture with vigor!

No comments:

Post a Comment